I'm already behind in my blogs! I wanted to post this yesterday but I have class at UTSA and I'm way too tired when I get home. Here is a weekly feature I'd like to begin, Thunderdome Thursday. Basically, it's two or more individuals (fictional characters, celebs, sports stars.. desserts, etc.) that I will throw together in the arena to participate in fictional battle. It will try to answer age old questions that alway start, "Who do you think would win in a fight between..." Based on each person or thing's history, I will try to unbiasly produce a winner. Obviously, I do want feedback if I leave out any vital information or if I'm just dead wrong at any point. So....without further ado, our first Thunderdome Thursday clash of titans in literature and now the silver screen -- two immensly famous and powerful WIZARDS: Gandalf (the white) and Dumbledore!
Both characters enter the arena; similar in appearance but behave differently when in the heat of battle. Both are able to summon extraordinary spells at a moments notice, are incredibly wise, and it's well documented that they each can kick major booty. Let's size them up according to Thunderdome categories:
HAND TO HAND COMBAT: Advantage- GANDALF
> Not too much to compare here. Dumbledore has yet to ever throw a punch, kick, or even a bite. Gandalf on the other hand, wields a staff and a sword with as much confidence as Rosanne unwrapping a Twix bar. The man kills at least 100 orcs alone and in Return of the King rallies a rag tag group of Gondor soldiers to hold Minas Tirith until Rohan arrives. The man's got significant anger against Saruon's dark army.
MAGICAL SKILL: Advantage - DUMBLEDORE
> Definately not as clear as physical combat, but in tandem with the last question, maybe Dumbledore never had to throw a punch! In Order of the Phoenix, it's pretty clear that Dumbledore can take care of himself against Voldemort - entrapping him in a giant water sphere and stopping all the glass in the ministry from hitting poor, whiny, Harry. And, Gandalf got owned when having to defend himself against Sauroman in the black tower at Isengard...of course that was Gandalf "The Grey." Dumbledore is a cool customer and seems to have a better command of his spells at the right moments.
WIZARDLY WISDOM: Advantage - DUMBLEDORE
> Gandalf knows and incredible amount of knowledge on the history and goings-on of Middle Earth for sure. But, Dumbledore has more resources at hand: the pensieve (the memory retriever), archives (Hogwarts the school!), and not as far to travel for his information (apparition). It seemed like 1/3 of the LOTR movies were taken up by horse travel. Dumbledore is headmaster for a reason, dude is SMART!
OVERALL WINNER: GANDALF!!
> All respect and credit to Dumbledore. He's even tempered, cool, calm and collected. He has the advantage in the magical arts and the wisdom but something he doesn't have........power over death! Gandalf came back from the dead to defeat Sauron and by golly got the job done. Dumbledore was no doubt wise enough to let the plan unfold correctly, but in the world of Thunderdome there's nowhere to hide and nobody to entrust with carrying out the plan against your enemy. Gandalf "the white" has got the grit and toughness to block enough of Dumbledore's magic and get in close, let his sword do the talking, and snap the Elder Wand in half with one hand. EPI (Elam Power Index) gives Gandalf at least 7 victories in 10 battles.


Absolutely not. Dumbledore died because he had to in order for Harry to triumph over Voldlemort. Duh!
ReplyDeleteWatched Lord of the Rings - Return of the King the other night and must say that Gandalf was pretty powerful and a force for Good! Only saw one Harry Potter movie (the very first) so can't really give an objective vote. Will have to catch up on all the HP movies and then compare and decide.
ReplyDelete