Welcome back to THUNDERDOME! We're getting all the classics out of the way first. This week's match up is between one actor with two equally tuff-as-nails characters. The actual man: Harrison Ford. The larger than life characters: HAN SOLO vs. INDIANA JONES
This matchup is pretty emotional for me. Both characters hold a special place in my childhood memories. The first scene I've ever acted out for my family (in my own memory) and actually memorized lines for was when Solo wasted Greedo at Mos Eisley. Yet, one of the first VCR tapes that I actually wore out from watching too much was The Last Crusade. Now that adulthood is kicking in, maybe there is only room for one of these never-say-die fighters of all evil doers.....but chances are after I write this ridiculous blog I'll still love both. (and no, I'm not going to talk about any Indiana Jones events that happened in that new terrible movie where he was comically brought back from hero Valhalla...you ought to be ashamed Mr. Ford) LET'S RUMBLE:
Hand to Hand Combat: Advantage - INDIANA JONES
> You have to go with the cinematic proof. Besides sucker punching Lando on Bespin and perhaps getting in some good shots on bounty hunters aboard Jabba's sand cruiser, Solo just doesn't do hand to hand fighting. Using hands (or Jedi powers for that matter) .."are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Well, better make sure your blaster doesn't leave you because Indiana is tougher than a $2 steak. Indy has fought off Nazis, Chinese crime bosses, museum-bounty men, Khali brainwashed Indians, and countless others. Never doubt the toughness of a school-teacher/archaeologist.
Weapons Usage: Advantage - HAN SOLO
> Solo is a crack shot and a quick draw (just ask Greedo). IF firearms are available, Solo would more than likely be able to shoot from the hip and bag Indy before he could say "short round." While Indy does use some gunplay in his movies, he definitely isn't known for it. Shooting a line full of Nazi's at point blank with a luger just isn't going to cut it against Solo's blaster.
Sidekick Choice: Advantage - HAN SOLO
> True, Thunderdome is "mono e mono" but we can still analyze the usage of a sidekick. Solo was blessed by the Force-gods to have Chewbaca on his side: a comedic and yet inspirational wookie that packs a punch against the Empire. Indy on the other hand had Marcus Brody....nincompoop. Got lost in his own museum, need we say more. Shortround , funny and good at fighting other children but without boxes on his feet to drive, pretty much useless. And finally his father, which had all the brains but unfortunately was still dumb enough to send his diary to Indiana which started the whole Last Crusade mess. When you're old, choose another hobby than grail seeking!
Difficulty of Foe: Advantage - INDIANA JONES
> Darth Vader is one of the best villains ever. But does Solo ever really fight him? NO, instead he gets his blaster taken from him and all of a sudden he's a baby without his blanky....and then a baby frozen in carbonite. Instead, Solo gets to take target practice against mindless Stormtroopers at Endor. (white troopers against a green forest background = fish in a barrel) Now, I'm not all negative against Solo In Episode 4 he went 'beast mode' inside the Death Star and took on an entire platoon of troopers with just him and Chewy. BUT, can you wager storm troopers against Nazis? a cult of Indians? a lost tribe in South America? MORE Nazis? and with very limited resources? No, Jones met a lot more bumps in his path and had to mostly work alone.
AND THE VICTOR IS.............INDIANA JONES!
> Han Solo is the coolest cat in the galaxy. He flys an awesome ship, has a better looking girl than Indy, a cooler sidekick, and just looks better getting the job done. But, in Thunderdome, Indy is too tough and resilient against Solo. Dr. Jones is the epitome of resourcefulness. My guess is Indy would have been able to dodge, or even overcome some blaster wounds, get close enough and whip the gun out of Solos hand. Then proceed to dish out some hay-makers to get the job done. This was rough, I'm a huge Solo fan, I wish he would have been the lead character in Star Wars instead of that whiny baby Luke...but in Thunderdome the Elam Power Index gives Dr. Henry Jones Jr. 6 victories in 10 battles.

So impressed with your writing skills!
ReplyDeleteI remember your earlier work - circa "Kindergarten". You've come a long way! I tend to agree with your assessment - Indiana Jones gets my vote - a pretty cool Dude!
This is my first visit to your blog...I see I am the last family member here. I like it, however don't know that I have much input on your topics so far. I do enjoy your writing, however. Love you, bro!!
ReplyDeleteWaiting for another Thunderdome installment - guess your school work is keeping you busy.
ReplyDeleteUmm...do you know you still have a blog?
ReplyDelete