Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Top Ten (Manly) Songs to Drive To

The choice for this blog came from the fact that when I first got in the car and turned on the radio "Love is a Battlefield" was on.  Good song, indeed, but not very manly.  So then I wondered about what 'manly' songs I enjoy driving to.  Not to sound sexist, but Benatar didn't make my list.  So women, you might have a separate list, but this is my manly-rock song play list when I'm flying down 410....at 55 mph because some doofus is in the far left lane not going the limit.  If you want to reorder or pick some other songs PLEASE COMMENT! 

#10 - "Who Do you Love" - George Thorogood and the Destroyers
> The guitar riff is simple, yet the tone George gets on his amp is incredible.  Combine that with a Bo Diddley drum beat and you've added 5 oz. at least of manliness to your tank.

#9 - "Down Rodeo" - Rage Against the Machine
> Hard rocking song, obviously from Rage.  Even though I'm a middle-income guy it still makes me want to start a class revolution against the richies in the Dominion

#8 - "She Sells Sanctuary" - The Cult
> Up tempo, quick and accurate guitar work, and soaring vocals.  The beat almost syncs up with the white road stripes if you drive 65.

#7 - "The Distance" - Cake
> I'm a big cake fan (food and band), and this is almost overplayed.  But you can't deny yourself the pleasure of a race car song and an irresistible one-string riff that encourages you to 'go the distance.'

#6 - "Sabotage" - Beastie Boys
> Super aggressive and a gritty sound.  Makes me feel like somebody is chasing me.

#5 - "Breadfan" - Metallica
> Many Metallica songs could have made the list, but "Breadfan" is full of double-bass drums and heavy riffs with a melodic interlude mixed in for good measure -an eye-opener if you're on a trip and are starting to get drowsy. 

#4 - "Joker and the Thief" - Wolfmother
> This song is featured in the Hangover, but it has an awesome intro then hits you in the face with a driving verse which features a really cool booming organ background that adds some beef to the already beefy guitars. Tasty....

#3 - "Stay with Me" - Faces
> I love any song with loose hi-hat drumming.  Mix it with some southern-rock licks and Rod Stewart's signature sound and this song has to be cranked while you cruise.

#2 - "Night Prowler" - AC/DC
> Most go for the easy "Highway to He(ck)" and while it's a great song, I go for the last track on the same album which is slower tempo, but none the less a really tough-sounding song.  Probably my favorite AC/DC song ever.  Good to listen to with your windows down when you get off the high way (top speed 45).

DRUM ROLL...........


#1 -  "Panama" - Van Halen
> Well, the song is firstly about cars anyway.  Perfection to listen to on the open road.  The sweet vocals, splashy drums, spot on riff and a killer solo seem to spill out of the stereo in such a way that your foot unconsciously presses down on the accelerator.

3 comments:

  1. I guess my "manly" days are behind me. I only know 2 of the 10 but honestly when I am driving along 410 in rush traffic Tennessee Ernie Ford singing about heaven is what I want to hear....YIKES

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Running Down a Dream, Tom Petty
    2. Red Barchetta, Rush
    3. Runnin With the Devil, Van Halen
    4. Rocket, Smashing Pumpkins
    5. Boys of Summer, Don Henley

    ReplyDelete
  3. man, for new bands, Free Energy's "Free Energy" (kinda like Bad Company's "Bad Company") is excellent for driving. Check it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HaOl91_yIA) Also, + eleventy billion for the Wolfmother song. Epic.

    -Eric

    ReplyDelete